Thursday, February 25, 2010

haldi ka shot

My blog has been wrinkled. Wrinkles come with age, don't they? This is what happened to my blog: unattended, uncared and undernourished. Procrastination wins over negligence here. Well, here I am back into the writing state of my mind. I shall try and make this intermittent. Hope it is in my trying effort.

Work has been as usual. My day started with some lack of sleep, backache and no breakfast. I hate to bring the blinds down in my apartment. Let me rephrase this, I love to bring them down but hate to be unsuccessful. I learnt the knack and how hard I tried and still try each time. Lucky I am a few times when it's smooth without any squeaky noises displeasing my ears. I tried hard again this morning and this is the nth time I hate to ask some one else to do it. I leave them to their state. However, there is a ray of sunlight passing through the other glass pane. The blinds were open horizontally but down all the way vertically. It reached the plants placed on a stand and made it beautiful. I smiled and thought, what a sight of contentment.

Stir fry, yes I love cooking. I enjoy so much that it vents my frustration and allows a fresh breeze of creativity. I love going to a Thai joint which has become one my favourites. How I love the sumptuous wok tossed chicken n veggies with its lemon-grass sauce hissing on the sizzler. I have not had my breakfast and this is definitely a serious high peak temptation. I recreated this dish and surprised myself. Shared the recipe with my friends and trained (mind you, trained I said :)) them. It clicked at the box office.

I was elated when I just heard from my friend about the box office hit. Made my day. How often do you share your recipe and some one tries it immediately? I was excited. She is pregnant and its a pleasure when both souls relish and please their taste-buds. Oh, does the tiny soul have his/her taste-buds yet? I am not sure about this one.

Drinking turmeric instilled milk is an ancient, successful and tested household remedy tested for cold. I was a very finicky fussy child when it came to food. Milk added to my misery. None of the chocolate powders could change my mind enough. However, bournvita won my heart and I would forget the milk. Take bournvita in a bowl with a spoon and sit in front of the tv and have it before being scolded. Adding to my sad saga of this hatred of milk was haldi. I love haldi in everything but milk. I could not throw away this glass of yellow milk as I did with regular milk sometimes from my window or in the sink. I came up with an idea. I named it 'haldi ka shot'.

Hot chocolate poured in my glass. I mixed 3-5 tablespoons of milk with haldi and gulped it like medicine. With no break, I drank hot chocolate over this. Mom always said no water for an hour at least. I followed the same and forgot about the haldi trauma. It worked like magic. I could not be happier in this state of suffering. I remember when I forced my parents to try this. It was different to what their grandparents and parents taught them. It worked and they were happy. I shared this with my friend and she promised to try it. I am waiting for another success story like stir fry.

An ode to my childhood discovery. Haldi ka shot.

1 comment:

Umesh said...

Good to see your blog after a very long time. Looks like your blinds need some oiling.. I agree with you that the rays of light falling on the plants just makes up the day.

I know you are a good chef and a good teacher as well.. So your box office hit is always a hit with others as well.. lol.

It was a nice read and hope to see some more of your blogs in future.

Keep my posted..